Thursday, August 17, 2006

Found Object, Finished Object, Fetish Object



First, the Found Object. This Sparkling Lemonade is the cat's meow.


Next, the Finished Object. The Friday Harbor Socks by Nancy Bush, which I call my Riverwalk Socks because, as explained in a previous post, I procured the yarn while in San Antonio for the first time, and it now reminds me of the lovely Riverwalk in San Antonio where Guido and I skipped out of a conference in the afternoon in order to have a lovely lunch in the blazing sun (and hence, the very strong Margaritas which were gulped down), followed by a slumbering walk about in the tree-lined, meandering pathways of the city's river system. (That sentence, rambling on and about, is very much like the socks and the Riverwalk itself--)

Pattern: "Friday Harbor Socks" by Nancy Bush, and published in Knitting on the Road.

Yarn: Fortissima Sockotta (75% cotton; 25% nylon), US 2 dpns.

Final Thoughts: I really loved this pattern, and found the lace chart to be easily memorized, thereby making a speedy process to this sock. I also really like the yarn. It's sorta squishy, and I think that I might like this cotton yarn more than I do most wool-sock yarns.*


Finally, the Fetish Object. Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock.

*So when I say above that I might enjoy cotton sock yarn more than wool sock yarn, I believe that my first experience with what is the joy of Lorna's Laces is obviously going to rule out the judgment pretty quickly. For so far, I luv luv luv the feel of Lorna's Laces.

And as you can see, I'm doing these the toe-up way, a new method for me. I'm basing these socks off of Streets and YOs *fabulous* stripped knee-high socks. She gives excellent instructions. I found Misocrafty's excellent description and helpful links for the Magic Loop Turkish Cast-On which, as I was using it, blew my (small) mind! "Who thinks of these things?" I kept exclaiming to Guido all night. I'm not kidding. I was *so* amazed by the 80cm circular needle doing its "magical" thing...

Those are all my objects for the day. Later--eh?**

**Please excuse the Canadianism. Feeling a bit homesick today for Canada...