Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Working My Knits; or, Wearing My Knits to Work; or Why I Want to Be Just Like Julia When I Grow Up

~



So today I'm wearing Kat Coyle's Eyelet Skirt to work. I let it soak again in a nice warm bath, reblocked it, stretched it back to fit evenly, and now it's ready to rock again. It's so comfortable, and airy, and here are the project details at last:





Project Details:
Pattern: Eyelet Skirt, free from Knitty, designed by Kat Coyle
Yarn: Classic Elite Flash, Electric Blue, 7.5 skeins
Needles: US 5
Modifications: Once I got to the eyelet section of the pattern, I did not follow the directions which asked me to "Inc 1 st each end every 6 rows 11 times."

Errata: Kat Coyle herself (!) emailed me, to let me know of the Elongated Stitch correction, so if any of you are thinking of making this skirt, please know that there is one small correction to the pattern. Thanks again Kat. I was thrilled by the idea that the designer herself had contacted me.

Recommendations: I would knit this in the round to avoid seaming. For some reason, I thought that I needed to have seams in order to give the skirt the structure, but if I were to make another, I would forego this step completely. I'm just not the best seamer (seamstress?).

More information: You can see my swatching notes for the yarn and needles in this post.




Lastly, I want to say that the inspiration and courage to knit a skirt came from Julia at Mind of Winter. When I saw her in this skirt, I decided that I wanted to try my hand at a skirt, especially given that I live in skirts for much of the year down here in the Southwest. So thanks Julia for being my muse on this project.



Now it's back to the grind...




Pictured above, some of my many coffee/tea mugs that I must use to get me through the day. The problem: at the end of the day, I just don't want to spend the time going to the lounge to wash them up. Hence, why I need so many of them, I guess. (Oh, and do I even need to say it? Probably not, but the mugs, of course, are courtesy of our local thrift shops.)