Saturday, July 22, 2006

Hot Town, Summer in the City

Sadly, on a Saturday, I'm in my office, trying to write; instead of focusing on the task at hand, I find my mind constantly wandering towards memories of my recent vacation, of times spent just lying about here:
A beach, a lake, a full moon, a family barbeque, all back near my hometown in Canada. Instead of being there, I'm back in the Southwest, sweltering, trying to get work done. But how can a girl--especially a Northern girl, like me--work in these conditions. Look at what my office thermometer is currently reading:


For those who, like me, prefer a much saner system of measurement, I present you with the metric version of this Hades of an office:


What's a girl to do but to pause, periodically, to wipe the sweat from her brow, to dream myself back to Canada and that evening at the lake, to knit on the second sock of the Friday Harbour Socks just for a wee break, pretending that the lake, the family, the love ain't so far away after all.
For surely, within me, I hold forever this frozen landscape, carry it with me where ever I go, much like I now find myself doing with my knitting and my Nikon camera.


And just to make sure I can make it through until the evening, when my partner swings by to rescue me from this hellish ivory tower of heat, I'll also dream of the mojitos that will follow this evening, using our garden's mint picked fresh.



Enjoy--and stay cool, my friends.