Monday, November 13, 2006

All Work and No Play. All Play and No Work.


It's a hard thing--balancing work & play. Some days I play way too much, and suffer for it. For then the work piles so high that it seems an impossible, unbearable task--not to mention the sense of guilt that comes from all play and no work.

Other times I work too much, and suffer for that too. For the result is a lack of joy, calm, and satisfaction in my life, and this, of course, affects all other aspects & people in my life.

The answer, as we all know, is trying to balance them. Although right now it's so hard not to become absorbed in Hello Yarn's We Call Them Pirates hat.


The other real, but difficult, answer, of course, is making your play, your work, and your work, your play. But until I figure out how to do this, it seems that I must stick with my trusty egg-timer; set timer and now:

*Work/write for 45 minutes, knit for 15.
Work/write for 45 minutes, knit for 10. Go pee in 5.
Work/write for 45 minutes, knit for 15.
Work/write for 45 minutes, knit for 10. Eat in 5.
Work/write for 45 minutes, knit for 15.
Work/write for 45 minutes, blog for 15.*

*Repeat until you get both a finished baby hat/knee high socks/Kiri shawl/hybrid sweater/, and a paragraph/a chapter/a dissertation/a PhD.